Over the past three years, Canadians David Barbarash and Darren Thurston have undergone intense police scrutiny; had monitoring devices placed in their vehicles and homes; had thousands of e-mail, fax and voice communications intercepted; and had vast amounts of files and property seized in raids. [See EF! Journal, June-July 1997]
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) had named Darren and David as its prime targets in their investigation of four mail bombs in 1995, and razor blade booby-trap letters sent to sent to 27 guide outfitters in 1995-96. The "Militant Direct Action Task Force" claimed responsibility for the mail bombs and the "Justice Department" claimed the razor blade letters.
On March 20, 1997, after listening devices were discovered in and removed from my truck and the apartment in which Darren and I lived, the RCMP executed five search warrants on Darren and David's homes and other places where some of their belongings were stored. Numerous items of personal property were seized under the guise that it may be relevant to their investigation.
Since then, the Crown has successfully applied several times to further detain the seized property. Over time, a few items were returned. In March of this year, the feds had to choose whether to fight in BC Supreme Court to continue to keep the property, which they probably would have lost, or to lay charges. They chose the latter. Recently, the RCMP laid charges against both men in relation to the Justice Department actions, as well as a couple more resulting from the raids.
In the meantime, unscrupulous federal agents unveiled an arsenal of dirty tricks in an attempt to discredit Darren and David. The feds launched a media smear campaign by making the information used to obtain the search warrants available to a slimy reporter who painted a picture of the nonviolent activists as "violent terrorists," tainting the jury pool if the case goes to trial. The headlines read, "Stalked by Eco-Bombers."
The National Security Investigative Section and the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service have both contacted and visited dozens of people (some numerous times) in Canada, England and the United States. They have attempted to coerce activists to turn against their peers by making up ridiculous stories that would get anyone else sued for defamation.
On June 16, Warren Leigh Ryan, head investigator on the case came to our apartment and told me that Darren killed my dog and that they have it on tape (um, yeah, Darren spent two years in prison for freeing cats from a lab, but he beats dogs... whatever).
In October, Darren attempted to visit England to testify in the GANDALF trial, as mandated and approved by the court, but he was denied entry. Reportedly, the RCMP told British authorities there that he had outstanding weapons charges, which is ridiculous as he has never had any weapons-related violations nor did he have any outstanding charges at all.
On January 28 of this year, while visiting in California, Darren was arrested at gunpoint by 15 thugs from Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS), FBI and the Anaheim Police Department. After being searched, he was immediately taken to Anaheim Public Library, where the agencies had a command post set up and about 20 more federal agents in suits waiting for him. There, he was shackled and taken to Los Angeles to be processed as an "undesirable alien."
Darren was held in custody for about two weeks without bail because of his "criminal" convictions in Canada (freeing cats from a lab and burning meat trucks five years ago). During his deportation hearing, the District Attorney said Darren was being investigated by the FBI as a "threat to national security," but she wasn't sure why. That wasn't good enough for the judge - she issued a "voluntary departure order," which is not as bad as deportation. Darren was escorted by INS officers to a plane bound for Canada on February 7.
David was arrested on March 27, on a warrant sworn out on the one-year anniversary of the raids. Darren returned to Vancouver and turned himself in a couple of days later. They are jointly charged with 27 counts of "sending an explosive or dangerous thing in the mail." David is additionally charged with "possession of an explosive substance" and "possession of a prohibited weapon" (a stun gun). Darren is additionally charged with "impersonation." No charges have been laid in connection with the mail bombs.
Both have been released on bail on their own recognizance with strict conditions: They are not allowed to leave BC, must surrender their passports, are not allowed to have contact with each other, and must report to RCMP headquarters once a week. Any violation means being sent back to jail to face a harder bail hearing, and they can also be sued for $10,000.
Their next court appearance is May 11, when they enter their pleas. Trials are not likely to happen until 1999.
Please help support our fellow warriors. Send letters of support and donations for their legal defense (earmarked "for Darren and David") to the North American ALF Supporters Group, Box 69597, 5845 Yonge St., Willowdale, Ontario, M2M 4K3 CANADA.
This page was last updated 10/25/98